WHAT IS STEAM PUNK FASHION ?

I've come across Steampunk a few times in my life and I've always been intrigued by it and the outfits that are worn, so I thought I would dig a little bit on the internet and find out what it's all about.

Steam punk


The meaning of steampunk

Steampunk, before it became the full-blown sub-culture it is today, started out as a science-fiction sub-genre in the 1970s. Its fundamental inspirations go all the way back to 19th century Victorian writers, such as Jules Verne (author of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) and H.G. Wells (author of The Time Machine).

Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction and fantasy featuring advanced machines and other technology based on steam power of the 19th century and taking place in a recognizable historical period or a fantasy world. The term Steampunk was first used in 1987 by K. W. Jeter, the author of the novel Morlock Night. He used the term to describe a genre of speculative fiction in which steam, not electricity, drove technological advancements. Since then it has been used to describe an artistic and cultural movement.

Unlike goth, steampunk originated from literary rather than music culture: it embraces anachronism and science fiction, with reference points including figures such as H G Wells, Mary Shelley, and Jules Verne.


When did steampunk fashion start?

The term steampunk originated in the late 1980s as a tongue-in-cheek variant of cyberpunk. 


What do steampunks wear?



Steampunk men can take on a variety of characters. Aesthetics often wear well-ironed suits with vests, top hats and long, straight coats and bear a traditional Victorian appearance. A roguish variation exists, however, often with high leather boots, gloves, and goggles.



Goggles serve many purposes in the world of steampunk such as keeping the wind on an airship from drying out your eyes, protection from dangerous chemicals for the mad scientist, and protection from sparks, and hot steam in the lab or boiler room.




What is a steampunk girl?

Steampunk is a mixture of the Victorian era's romantic view of science in literature and elements from the Industrial Revolution in Europe during the 1800s.

Steampunk fashion consists of clothing, hairstyling, jewelry, body modification and make-up.


I have thoroughly enjoyed investigating this amazing movement  (courtesy of Google) and learnt a little bit more about it. 
 I have been thinking for some time about making some 'one off'  Steam Punk Top Hats, and this has motivated me to start creating some fabulous designs.
I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed investigating about it and if you would like anything creating, please get in touch!

kerry@lovehatsmillinery.co.uk

www.lovehatsmillinery.co.uk

Comments

My photo
Love Hats Millinery
I have always loved hats and was lucky enough to live my teenage years and early 20's (In London in retail fashion) in the 80's when 'anything went' and I experimented with lots of different headwear. But my millinery journey started in 1996 when I first worked at 'Hats on Top' in Princes Quay, Hull and where I first trained 'on the job' in millinery, helping many lovely ladies choose their headwear for their event. (Which I loved!!) In between I trained as a Beauty Therapist which I did very sucessfully for many years whilst creating 'one off' Headpieces for Hats on Top in Harrogate. I started working for myself in 2012 and once again pursued my love of Fashion and Millinery, which is when LOVE HATS MILLINERY was born.

Popular Posts