GUIDE TO MAKING A FREE FORM SHAPE USING YOUR HAND MADE BLOCK

Guide to making a Free From Shape using your hand made block or polystyrene head..



What you will need:


  • Handmade block or Polystyrene Head
  • Spray bottle of water/ Kettle/ Iron
  • Cotton cloth
  • Plastic to cover the block
  • Sinamay of your choice
  • Dressmaking Pins/Needles
  • Stiffener and brush
  • Millinery wire
  • Cotton to match sinamay colour

When you are ready to begin:

Start by covering your block with plastic

Block your chosen sinamay with the bias running from the top to the bottom  (I spray the sinamay with water first, and then use a damp cloth and hot iron to block the sinamay)
then stiffen

When the sinamay is dry, draw your shape on to it , take off the  block and cut

Steam the shape lightly and flip the top over so that it curves the other way






Wire the edge with millinery wire using a blanket stitch


Edge with sinamay, either with the same colour or contrasting colour







Your free form shape is now ready!


For this Headpiece, I blocked a button pillbox which I then attached the free form shape to and then added the trim (two hand trimmed ostrich feathers with three roses at the back)
I then added a hat elastic, hat lining & petersham....



I hope you found this useful, please subscribe for more tips or follow me on social media.

https://www.facebook.com/lovehatsmillinery/
https://www.instagram.com/lovehats64/

kerry@lovehatsmillinery.co.uk
www.lovehatsmillinery.co.uk

Comments

My photo
Love Hats Millinery
I have always loved hats and was lucky enough to live my teenage years and early 20's (In London in retail fashion) in the 80's when 'anything went' and I experimented with lots of different headwear. But my millinery journey started in 1996 when I first worked at 'Hats on Top' in Princes Quay, Hull and where I first trained 'on the job' in millinery, helping many lovely ladies choose their headwear for their event. (Which I loved!!) In between I trained as a Beauty Therapist which I did very sucessfully for many years whilst creating 'one off' Headpieces for Hats on Top in Harrogate. I started working for myself in 2012 and once again pursued my love of Fashion and Millinery, which is when LOVE HATS MILLINERY was born.

Popular Posts