6 tips for looking after your Sinamay Hat

Tips for storing and caring for your Sinamay Hat......

For all the Mothers of Brides and Racegoers alike who have meticulously organised their outfit and now its not going ahead due to Covid. 
In this blog I will give you six tips for looking after and storing your Hat until your event goes ahead!
And its great to follow these tips after you have worn it, so that it keeps it in pristine condition.



1. Handle with Care
This may seen obvious but I see many clients pick up their Hats incorrectly, if it's a traditional Hat then avoid picking it up by the crown and where possible pick it up with two hands by the edge of the Brim with clean, dry hands.
 2.  Storing your Hat
 Hat boxes are always the best and easiest way to store your Hats, plus they can make a lovely decoration in your bedroom.  Make sure you have lots of tissue in the Box and always store the Hat on its Crown (with tissue inside to support it).  This will mean the hat does not get dusty or that the sun doesn't bleach it!
3.  Avoid getting wet
Sinamay is a natural fibre that is stiffened to keep its shape on the block, getting it wet will mean that you run the risk of the Hat being misshapen.
4.  Petersham Cleaning
Petersham is the ribbon inside a tradtional hat and also you will see this in bases such as
pillboxes.  It is easy to clean with a light detergent and water mixture, simply use a clean soft brush or cloth to wipe over it and let it dry naturally.
5.   Dented Crown
If you do get a dent in your hat, the easiest way to remove it is to gently steam the hat over
a kettle, when the sinamay softens push the dent out with your fingers.  Let the hat dry 
naturally.
6.  Feather Repair
If the Feathers on your hat are looking a little sad, hold over a steaming kettle to bring back to life, this will also work for silk flowers and lots of trims on your hat or headpiece.

Steam is the Milliners Friend....

If you have a hat that you love but it's a little battered, get in touch to see if I can bring it back to life for you!!

I hope you have found this blog helpful, head over to subscribe to receive more tips for your hats!!


If you would like a hat repairing or you would like a hat creating, do get in touch:


kerry@lovehatsmillinery.co.uk
www.lovehatsmillinery.co.uk
           

Comments

My photo
Love Hats Millinery
I have always loved hats and was lucky enough to live my teenage years and early 20's (In London in retail fashion) in the 80's when 'anything went' and I experimented with lots of different headwear. But my millinery journey started in 1996 when I first worked at 'Hats on Top' in Princes Quay, Hull and where I first trained 'on the job' in millinery, helping many lovely ladies choose their headwear for their event. (Which I loved!!) In between I trained as a Beauty Therapist which I did very sucessfully for many years whilst creating 'one off' Headpieces for Hats on Top in Harrogate. I started working for myself in 2012 and once again pursued my love of Fashion and Millinery, which is when LOVE HATS MILLINERY was born.

Popular Posts